Friday, October 3, 2008

Green - Developing in Python

I selected PyDev (http://pydev.sourceforge.net/) as the tool to start out with.  There seems to be huge enthusiasm for plain-text editors in the Python community.  No doubt, it's fun to improvise on the command line.  I liken the feeling to going back to nature -- grabbing hold of the rough edges and learning to love them.  But I've grown too addicted to more full-featured editors.

PyDev is an open-source Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org) plug-in with a pretty healthy feature set -- code completion, syntax highlighting, integrated debugging, refactoring, unit testing, third-party plug-ins, and on and on.  The main criticisms I see about PyDev are about the complexity/overhead of Eclipse and the fact that you need to run it on a pretty beefy machine.  After years of Visual Studio, I'm used to omnibus IDEs.  And the machines I use have some horsepower.

I saw that PyDev was recently purchased by Aptana.  I don't know enough about the Python ecosystem to know if I should be concerned that PyDev will go a commercial route.  But I suppose on the scale of worries, that one is pretty small.

So off I go.

No comments: